WHAT IS FORTRAN | FEATURES OF FORTRAN | VERSIONS OF FORTRAN – FORTRAN is one of the first high-level languages created for computers. The language can be described as the oldest but still equally useful.
FORTRAN is an acronym for ‘Formula Translator’! From the name of this language, it is immediately noticed that it is closely related to mathematical formulas.
Fortran can be defined as a language that easily converts mathematical formulas for a computer.
WHAT IS FORTRAN | FEATURES OF FORTRAN | VERSIONS OF FORTRAN
Solving complex mathematical formulas is a common task in many fields of science. Solving such formulas by hand or with the help of a log table is a waste of time!
Of course in the past, there was no other option than that. Next came the calculator. This made the task of solving the formulas much easier, But there are also limitations to calculators.
So the idea of adopting a computer for complex mathematical formulas came up. That is why in 1954 a committee called IBM appointed a committee headed by a scientist named Box.
The committee was tasked with creating a language that could solve complex mathematical formulas with the help of computers.
After three years of research, the committee published the first high-level language, Fortran, in 1957.
VERSIONS OF FORTRAN
The language that is constantly improving is the language that survives. The same thing happened in Photran.
In 1958, it was renamed FORTRAN-2. In 1960, improvements were made to the FORTRAN that could be used for commercial calculations, and in 1962 it became known as ‘FORTRAN-4’.
As always, computer manufacturers modified the original FORTRAN at their convenience. This created the need to standardize photons. This standardized copy was also added from time to time.
Finally, in 1978, the American National Standards Institute published the most up-to-date and standardized version of FORTRAN, called FORTRAN-77. FORTRAN-77 is currently the prevalent FORTRAN language.
FORTRAN requires a compiler. FORTRAN has a knack for solving mathematical formulas fast. Although it is used for small businesses, research and technology remain its specialty.
FORTRAN takes the form of instructions written in order for a computer. Numbers are not required for instructions in this language.
If you want to solve some formulas by changing the order, then you have to number the specific line.
Special instructions, written for input and output devices, are a feature of FORTRAN. Apart from this, there are many other suggestions like logical, formulaic, and comparison.
LIMITATIONS OF FORTRAN
Recently, the language photon has been lagging behind. Everything that can be done using FORTRAN can be done by modern basic language.
FORTRAN is much more difficult than Basic. That’s why newcomers prefer basic languages to FORTRAN.
- FIRST GENERATION COMPUTER: ENIAC COMPUTER | EDSAC AND EDVAC COMPUTERS | VON NEUMANN
- HISTORY OF COMPUTING | WHO INVENTED THE MODERN COMPUTER?
- ENIAC COMPUTER – HISTORY, FEATURES, SPECIFICATIONS, SIZE, COMPARISON
- GENERATIONS OF COMPUTING | WHAT ARE COMPUTER GENERATIONS
- TYPES OF COMPUTER SYSTEM | ANALOG, DIGITAL, HYBRID
- ADVANTAGES OF COMPUTER | WHAT ARE ADVANTAGES OF COMPUTERS
- WHAT IS DATA? DATA: DEFINITION, EXAMPLE, ELECTRONIC DATA PROCESSING
- WHAT IS COMPUTER PROGRAM? DEFINITION, EXAMPLE
- OPERATING SYSTEM IN COMPUTER | DEFINITION, NEED, FUNCTIONS, WORKING
- TYPES OF PROGRAMS IN COMPUTER | TYPES OF PROGRAMS IN OPERATING SYSTEM
- TYPES OF OPERATING SYSTEM IN COMPUTERS | HISTORY OF OPERATING SYSTEM
- HISTORY OF UNIX OPERATING SYSTEM | FEATURES OF UNIX OPERATING SYSTEM
- WHAT IS A COMMAND LANGUAGE? USE OF COMMANDS IN COMMAND LANGUAGE
- MULTITASKING IN COMPUTER | DEFINITION, USE, EXAMPLE
- MICROPROGRAM IN COMPUTER | DEFINITION, FUNCTION, PROM, AND E-PROM
- WHAT IS A SOFTWARE | MEANING | DEFINITION | TYPES OF SOFTWARE
- GENERAL PURPOSE COMPUTER AND SPECIAL PURPOSE COMPUTER
- WHAT IS HARDWARE IN COMPUTER | DEFINITION | EXAMPLE | IMPORTANCE
- WHAT IS AN ALGORITHM | DEFINITION | MEANING | EXAMPLE | RULES OF ALGORITHM
- BASIC PRINCIPLE OF COMPUTER OPERATION | DIAGRAM
- WHAT IS MACHINE LANGUAGE IN COMPUTER | DEFINITION
- WHAT IS AN ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE | DEFINITION | DISADVANTAGES
- HUMAN AND COMPUTER COMPARISON
- WHAT IS HIGH-LEVEL LANGUAGE IN COMPUTER | DEFINITION | FUNCTION
- WHAT IS A FLOWCHART | HOW TO DRAW FLOWCHART | FLOWCHART SYMBOLS
- SPEED OF COMPUTER | EQUATION | METRICS | COMPUTER WORK IN THE SECOND MEASUREMENT
- WHAT IS INTEGRATED CIRCUIT | DEFINITION OF IC | USE | EXAMPLE
- WHAT IS ASCII | ASCII TABLE | PURPOSE OF ASCII
- BIT AND BYTE DIFFERENCE | SIZE COMPARISON
- WHAT ARE BINARY NUMBERS | EXPLAIN BINARY NUMBER SYSTEM
- HOW TO DECIMAL TO BINARY CONVERSION | DECIMAL NUMBER TO BINARY CONVERSION
- WHAT ARE LOGIC GATES | TYPES OF LOGIC GATES | DEFINITION | FUNCTION
- HOW TO CONVERT NUMBER INTO HEXADECIMAL NUMBER | CONVERT INT INTO HEX
- WHAT ARE COMPUTER MEMORY | TYPES OF COMPUTER MEMORY | RAM AND ROM
- KEY COMPONENTS OF A COMPUTER | MAIN COMPONENTS OF CPU
- WHAT IS ARITHMETIC AND LOGIC UNIT | COMPONENTS AND FUNCTION
- FUNCTION OF CONTROL UNIT OF A COMPUTER SYSTEM
- WHAT IS A MICROPROCESSOR | USE OF MICROPROCESSOR
- MICROCOMPUTER MINICOMPUTER AND MAINFRAME COMPUTER
- INTERNAL WORKING OF COMPUTER
- WHAT IS INTERFACE IN COMPUTER SYSTEM
- MAIN TYPES OF HIGH-LEVEL LANGUAGES
- GENERATIONS OF LANGUAGES IN COMPUTER SYSTEM
- HOW TO WRITE A PROGRAM | STEPS OF WRITING A COMPUTER PROGRAM
- WHAT IS GIGO (GARBAGE IN GARBAGE OUT) | EXPLAIN GIGO
- WHAT IS COBOL | EXPLAIN COBOL LANGUAGE | FEATURES OF COBOL