WHAT IS A FILE – Whenever a word is pronounced, a long wide cardboard file is likely to come in front of your eyes.
But in computer language, the meaning of the word file is very different. You will find many different types of paper wrapped in office files.
Files are also sometimes used to keep notes of college subjects together.
A file in a computer language is not like that. It is never confined to thick cartons.
A computer file is always on a floppy disk or hard disk. Any computer file has to be given a specific name.
The computer recognizes a specific file from many files under that name.
This is because there can be many files on one floppy or on the hard disk.
FILE IN COMPUTER
A file for a computer is defined as a number of records or entries arranged in a specific way.
If you want a specific record in such a neatly arranged file, the computer can find it quickly.
Therefore, for effective use, records in any file have to be kept consistently.
When there are many records with the same type of information, the file is very useful.
For example- if there are thousands of names with information like name, address, city, state, zip code, then there is no other tool like the file to handle it.
All of this information is enclosed in a file of these addresses.
For example- Suppose you want to find a specific person with the last name Miles in it. Then you can get the address of this person from those thousands of names in a moment.
FUNCTIONS OF FILE
If the computer does not have the file as it is used in practice, then all the actions that are required for a regular file are performed for the file of the computer.
You have to open it first to see what is in which file. Then we read the information in it, or write some new information in it, or we modify the existing information.
All that is done is to close the file and save it. This is exactly what is required for a computer file.
For this, open, read, write, append, close, ie open, read, write, add a supplement, close, such instructions have to be written in the program.
PARTS OF FILES
Suppose you want to create a file of college admitted students. So the titles have to be fixed first.
For example, you will have titles like name, address, class, group, subject. These titles are called ‘fields’.
The combined information under all these headings is the student’s record! And many such student records are files!
Only all records must be consistent. This is the rise of computer files.
TYPES OF FILES
There are generally two types of files. In a way, all the records are arranged one after the other in ascending order. This type is called ‘Sequential file’.
If you want a specific record in a sequential file, then the computer has to check each record in order to reach that record.
In the second type, the records have no specific order. This type is called a ‘random file’.
In this mode, you can quickly access a specific record.
- FIRST GENERATION COMPUTER: ENIAC COMPUTER | EDSAC AND EDVAC COMPUTERS | VON NEUMANN
- HISTORY OF COMPUTING | WHO INVENTED THE MODERN COMPUTER?
- ENIAC COMPUTER – HISTORY, FEATURES, SPECIFICATIONS, SIZE, COMPARISON
- GENERATIONS OF COMPUTING | WHAT ARE COMPUTER GENERATIONS
- TYPES OF COMPUTER SYSTEM | ANALOG, DIGITAL, HYBRID
- ADVANTAGES OF COMPUTER | WHAT ARE ADVANTAGES OF COMPUTERS
- WHAT IS DATA? DATA: DEFINITION, EXAMPLE, ELECTRONIC DATA PROCESSING
- WHAT IS COMPUTER PROGRAM? DEFINITION, EXAMPLE
- OPERATING SYSTEM IN COMPUTER | DEFINITION, NEED, FUNCTIONS, WORKING
- TYPES OF PROGRAMS IN COMPUTER | TYPES OF PROGRAMS IN OPERATING SYSTEM
- TYPES OF OPERATING SYSTEM IN COMPUTERS | HISTORY OF OPERATING SYSTEM
- HISTORY OF UNIX OPERATING SYSTEM | FEATURES OF UNIX OPERATING SYSTEM
- WHAT IS A COMMAND LANGUAGE? USE OF COMMANDS IN COMMAND LANGUAGE
- MULTITASKING IN COMPUTER | DEFINITION, USE, EXAMPLE
- MICROPROGRAM IN COMPUTER | DEFINITION, FUNCTION, PROM, AND E-PROM
- WHAT IS A SOFTWARE | MEANING | DEFINITION | TYPES OF SOFTWARE
- GENERAL PURPOSE COMPUTER AND SPECIAL PURPOSE COMPUTER
- WHAT IS HARDWARE IN COMPUTER | DEFINITION | EXAMPLE | IMPORTANCE
- WHAT IS AN ALGORITHM | DEFINITION | MEANING | EXAMPLE | RULES OF ALGORITHM
- BASIC PRINCIPLE OF COMPUTER OPERATION | DIAGRAM
- WHAT IS MACHINE LANGUAGE IN COMPUTER | DEFINITION
- WHAT IS AN ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE | DEFINITION | DISADVANTAGES
- HUMAN AND COMPUTER COMPARISON
- WHAT IS HIGH-LEVEL LANGUAGE IN COMPUTER | DEFINITION | FUNCTION
- WHAT IS A FLOWCHART | HOW TO DRAW FLOWCHART | FLOWCHART SYMBOLS
- SPEED OF COMPUTER | EQUATION | METRICS | COMPUTER WORK IN THE SECOND MEASUREMENT
- WHAT IS INTEGRATED CIRCUIT | DEFINITION OF IC | USE | EXAMPLE
- WHAT IS ASCII | ASCII TABLE | PURPOSE OF ASCII
- BIT AND BYTE DIFFERENCE | SIZE COMPARISON
- WHAT ARE BINARY NUMBERS | EXPLAIN BINARY NUMBER SYSTEM
- HOW TO DECIMAL TO BINARY CONVERSION | DECIMAL NUMBER TO BINARY CONVERSION
- WHAT ARE LOGIC GATES | TYPES OF LOGIC GATES | DEFINITION | FUNCTION
- HOW TO CONVERT NUMBER INTO HEXADECIMAL NUMBER | CONVERT INT INTO HEX
- WHAT ARE COMPUTER MEMORY | TYPES OF COMPUTER MEMORY | RAM AND ROM
- KEY COMPONENTS OF A COMPUTER | MAIN COMPONENTS OF CPU
- WHAT IS ARITHMETIC AND LOGIC UNIT | COMPONENTS AND FUNCTION
- FUNCTION OF CONTROL UNIT OF A COMPUTER SYSTEM
- WHAT IS A MICROPROCESSOR | USE OF MICROPROCESSOR
- MICROCOMPUTER MINICOMPUTER AND MAINFRAME COMPUTER
- WHAT IS INTERFACE IN COMPUTER SYSTEM
- MAIN TYPES OF HIGH-LEVEL LANGUAGES
- WHAT IS GIGO (GARBAGE IN GARBAGE OUT) | EXPLAIN GIGO
- WHAT IS COBOL | EXPLAIN COBOL LANGUAGE | FEATURES OF COBOL
- HOW TO WRITE A PROGRAM | STEPS OF WRITING A COMPUTER PROGRAM
- WHAT IS FORTRAN | FEATURES OF FORTRAN | VERSIONS OF FORTRAN
- WHAT IS BASIC (BEGINNERS ALL-PURPOSE SYMBOLIC INSTRUCTION CODE) | FEATURES OF BASIC LANGUAGE
- INTERNAL WORKING OF COMPUTER
- WHAT IS PASCAL LANGUAGE | FEATURES OF PASCAL | TYPES OF PASCAL
- WHAT IS WORDSTAR IN COMPUTER | WORDSTAR COMPUTER PROGRAM
- GENERATIONS OF LANGUAGES IN COMPUTER SYSTEM
- WHAT IS LOTUS 1-2-3 | FEATURES AND PURPOSE OF LOTUS 1-2-3 | HISTORY
- WHAT IS ‘C’ LANGUAGE | IMPORTANCE | HISTORY | FEATURES
- USE OF A COMPILER | WHAT IS A COMPILER | WORKING OF COMPILER
- DIFFERENCE BETWEEN INTERPRETER AND A COMPILER
- WHAT IS A UTILITY PROGRAM | SORT AND MERGE PROGRAM
- THINGS TO DO BEFORE WRITING A PROGRAM ON A COMPUTER
- WHAT IS MENU IN COMPUTER LANGUAGE
- WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE FOR DATA PROCESSING