WHAT IS COBOL | EXPLAIN COBOL LANGUAGE | FEATURES OF COBOL – In May 1959, the US Department of Defense convened a special conference. The conference took place in the Pentagon’s famous pentagonal building in Washington.
The aim of the conference was to create a special computer language that would be useful to businesses.
The conference was attended by computer manufacturers, government officials, university professors, representatives of computer-using organizations, and of course some military experts.
A small committee was selected from among the delegates to study the subject. That committee created a language that would be useful for special industries in a very short time, the same COBOL!
In 1960, the COBOL language rules for general practice were published.
WHAT IS COBOL | EXPLAIN COBOL LANGUAGE | FEATURES OF COBOL
COBOL is short for ‘Common Business Oriented Language’! Cobol’s compilers became available in 1961.
The American National Standards Institute first certified the COBOL language in 1968, then in 1974, and more recently in 1980.
SECTIONS OF COBOL LANGUAGE
It has four main sections, Identification, Environment, Data, and Procedure, and they have to be written in the same order.
The identification section contains the name of the COBOL program, the name of the author, and so on.
The environment section mentions which computer was used. The data section contains information about inputs and outputs and the procedure section does the math. But it does not solve the complex formulas.
The division is followed by the section, followed by the paragraph, the sentence, the word, and so on.
FEATURES OF COBOL
Cobol’s special features include easy handling of program files, great text writing, an easy way to store and process huge data, and use simple mathematical formulas.
But the COBOL compiler not only saves a lot of computer memory, but the COBOL program itself requires a lot of memory.
A program that can be written in 10 to 15 lines in Fortran language costs 75 to 100 lines in Cobol. A simple COBOL program can be several pages long.
COBOL is the same language that was popular in the industry for many years, still is.
But new and simple languages like Debase, Lotus have now been created for the same purpose. Therefore, the popularity of COBOL will gradually decline in the near future.
- FIRST GENERATION COMPUTER: ENIAC COMPUTER | EDSAC AND EDVAC COMPUTERS | VON NEUMANN
- HISTORY OF COMPUTING | WHO INVENTED THE MODERN COMPUTER?
- ENIAC COMPUTER – HISTORY, FEATURES, SPECIFICATIONS, SIZE, COMPARISON
- GENERATIONS OF COMPUTING | WHAT ARE COMPUTER GENERATIONS
- TYPES OF COMPUTER SYSTEM | ANALOG, DIGITAL, HYBRID
- ADVANTAGES OF COMPUTER | WHAT ARE ADVANTAGES OF COMPUTERS
- WHAT IS DATA? DATA: DEFINITION, EXAMPLE, ELECTRONIC DATA PROCESSING
- WHAT IS COMPUTER PROGRAM? DEFINITION, EXAMPLE
- OPERATING SYSTEM IN COMPUTER | DEFINITION, NEED, FUNCTIONS, WORKING
- TYPES OF PROGRAMS IN COMPUTER | TYPES OF PROGRAMS IN OPERATING SYSTEM
- TYPES OF OPERATING SYSTEM IN COMPUTERS | HISTORY OF OPERATING SYSTEM
- HISTORY OF UNIX OPERATING SYSTEM | FEATURES OF UNIX OPERATING SYSTEM
- WHAT IS A COMMAND LANGUAGE? USE OF COMMANDS IN COMMAND LANGUAGE
- MULTITASKING IN COMPUTER | DEFINITION, USE, EXAMPLE
- MICROPROGRAM IN COMPUTER | DEFINITION, FUNCTION, PROM, AND E-PROM
- WHAT IS A SOFTWARE | MEANING | DEFINITION | TYPES OF SOFTWARE
- GENERAL PURPOSE COMPUTER AND SPECIAL PURPOSE COMPUTER
- WHAT IS HARDWARE IN COMPUTER | DEFINITION | EXAMPLE | IMPORTANCE
- WHAT IS AN ALGORITHM | DEFINITION | MEANING | EXAMPLE | RULES OF ALGORITHM
- BASIC PRINCIPLE OF COMPUTER OPERATION | DIAGRAM
- WHAT IS MACHINE LANGUAGE IN COMPUTER | DEFINITION
- WHAT IS AN ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE | DEFINITION | DISADVANTAGES
- HUMAN AND COMPUTER COMPARISON
- WHAT IS HIGH-LEVEL LANGUAGE IN COMPUTER | DEFINITION | FUNCTION
- WHAT IS A FLOWCHART | HOW TO DRAW FLOWCHART | FLOWCHART SYMBOLS
- SPEED OF COMPUTER | EQUATION | METRICS | COMPUTER WORK IN THE SECOND MEASUREMENT
- WHAT IS INTEGRATED CIRCUIT | DEFINITION OF IC | USE | EXAMPLE
- WHAT IS ASCII | ASCII TABLE | PURPOSE OF ASCII
- BIT AND BYTE DIFFERENCE | SIZE COMPARISON
- WHAT ARE BINARY NUMBERS | EXPLAIN BINARY NUMBER SYSTEM
- HOW TO DECIMAL TO BINARY CONVERSION | DECIMAL NUMBER TO BINARY CONVERSION
- WHAT ARE LOGIC GATES | TYPES OF LOGIC GATES | DEFINITION | FUNCTION
- HOW TO CONVERT NUMBER INTO HEXADECIMAL NUMBER | CONVERT INT INTO HEX
- WHAT ARE COMPUTER MEMORY | TYPES OF COMPUTER MEMORY | RAM AND ROM
- KEY COMPONENTS OF A COMPUTER | MAIN COMPONENTS OF CPU
- WHAT IS ARITHMETIC AND LOGIC UNIT | COMPONENTS AND FUNCTION
- FUNCTION OF CONTROL UNIT OF A COMPUTER SYSTEM
- WHAT IS A MICROPROCESSOR | USE OF MICROPROCESSOR
- MICROCOMPUTER MINICOMPUTER AND MAINFRAME COMPUTER
- INTERNAL WORKING OF COMPUTER
- WHAT IS INTERFACE IN COMPUTER SYSTEM
- MAIN TYPES OF HIGH-LEVEL LANGUAGES
- GENERATIONS OF LANGUAGES IN COMPUTER SYSTEM
- HOW TO WRITE A PROGRAM | STEPS OF WRITING A COMPUTER PROGRAM
- WHAT IS GIGO (GARBAGE IN GARBAGE OUT) | EXPLAIN GIGO